Tuesday, January 3, 2012

movement



although many people may have never heard of manu dibango, they are very aware of a phrase that was popularized by michael jackson. "ma-mako, ma-ma-sa, mako-mako ssa," anyone? well it was from his song "soul makossa" in which that phrase was lifted and it was that proto-disco hugeloft-cokeparty-shakemania track that made me fall in love with this particular brand of dance music. here's another song by him that reminds me of sitting in a cafe while trying very hard not to visibly tap your feet or shake your head. there is an unmistakably overwhelming sensation that he creates by combining the roots of black-american jazz and the oceanic-flavored rhythm of african soul. it brings me to a place of tranquility and heritage, something that runs through my veins and my blood. definitely worth a listen for even the casual fan of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment